The most perfect vegan brownies are finally here! To me, the idea of vegan brownies is the holy grail. They are incredibly valuable yet completely elusive. I can’t tell you how many recipes I tried looking for the most perfect of perfect confections. Yet finally, here we are.
To me, the perfect brownie needs to be both cakey and fudgy. I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding this topic as many people seem to favor one of these characteristics over the other. Call me a diplomat but I like them both equally and plan to favor them as such.
Growing up, my mom would always make the Ghirardelli chocolate brownies from a huge box she would purchase from Costco. The heavenly squares this box mix would produce could not accurately be described here. This post would be far too long.
Regardless, this is the brownie I found myself striving to re-create. Being vegan I can no longer just toss an egg or two into a box mix, stick it in the oven and call it good. I now need to take on a more grueling process of trial and error, and embrace it I do.
However, this recipe has taken me YEARS to nail down. I can’t quite tell you why that is as most baked goods can today be “veganized” rather easily considering what is available on the market. For whatever reason, I found these guys to be the exception. Although they were a difficult code to crack, I feel all of my literal blood, sweat, and tears were plenty worth it.
So SHABAM! Here they are. East responsibly. Yada, yada.Print
Perfect Vegan Brownies
These vegan brownies are the perfect combination of cakey and fudgy to fulfill all of your brownie needs.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 9 Brownies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Baking
3 oz extra firm silken tofu (1/4 of a 12 oz package)
1/4 c non-dairy milk
1/2 c vegan butter
1 c dairy-free chocolate chips, separated
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c flour
1/3 c cocoa powder
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C) and line an 8 or 9 in square pan with parchment paper. Allow some of the paper to hang over the sides of the dish to ensure easy brownie removal.
2. Blend silken tofu and non-dairy milk in a high speed blender until a well-combined, creamy mixture forms. This should take about a minute. Set aside.
3. In a small, microwave-safe bowl or cup, melt vegan butter in the microwave for 30 second increments until completely liquid. Immediately stir in 1/2 c of the chocolate chips until chocolate is completely melted in the butter.
4. In a large bowl, combine tofu and chocolate-butter mixture. Add in granulated sugar and whisk vigorously for one minute. Whisk in vanilla extract.
5. Carefully sift in flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and sea salt. Do not just dump these ingredients into the bowl as cocoa powder is full of clumps and sifting will eliminate them. Stir in with a wooden spoon. Fold in remaining 1/2 c of chocolate chips.
6. Spoon batter into prepared pan and even out top with a rubber spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 28-30 mins or until toothpick inserted into center of brownies comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes or so before removing and cutting. Brownies can keep in a sealed container at room temperature for 3-5 days or be frozen for up to a month.
Keywords: vegan, baking, brownies, chocolate
Want more dessert recipes? Be sure to check out these Turtle Shortbread Squares or Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pretzels!