These vegan brownies are the perfect combination of cakey and fudgy to fulfill all of your brownie needs.
3 oz extra firm silken tofu (1/4 of a 12 oz package)
1/4 c non-dairy milk
1/2 c vegan butter
1 c dairy-free chocolate chips, separated
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c flour
1/3 c cocoa powder
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C) and line an 8 or 9 in square pan with parchment paper. Allow some of the paper to hang over the sides of the dish to ensure easy brownie removal.
2. Blend silken tofu and non-dairy milk in a high speed blender until a well-combined, creamy mixture forms. This should take about a minute. Set aside.
3. In a small, microwave-safe bowl or cup, melt vegan butter in the microwave for 30 second increments until completely liquid. Immediately stir in 1/2 c of the chocolate chips until chocolate is completely melted in the butter.
4. In a large bowl, combine tofu and chocolate-butter mixture. Add in granulated sugar and whisk vigorously for one minute. Whisk in vanilla extract.
5. Carefully sift in flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and sea salt. Do not just dump these ingredients into the bowl as cocoa powder is full of clumps and sifting will eliminate them. Stir in with a wooden spoon. Fold in remaining 1/2 c of chocolate chips.
6. Spoon batter into prepared pan and even out top with a rubber spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 28-30 mins or until toothpick inserted into center of brownies comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes or so before removing and cutting. Brownies can keep in a sealed container at room temperature for 3-5 days or be frozen for up to a month.
Keywords: vegan, baking, brownies, chocolate