Upon completing my due diligence, I have come to discover that an “Energy Bite” craze seems to have taken over the web. Maybe I am a little bit late to the game and these babies are past their prime but better late than never right?
While I was sifting through my pantry in preparation for this recipe I discovered a bag of dried pineapple slices. I have no idea where they came from or how they got there but they gave me an idea: Piña Colada Energy Bites!
These bites are compiled of banana-y, pineapple-y, coconut-y goodness and come together quickly with only 5 ingredients. 10 minutes to prep and 2 hours to chill and BOOM! You have a great snack for in between meals or a quick, on the go breakfast.
When I was testing this recipe, I tried very hard to keep it nut-free. Don’t get me wrong! I like nuts and what they bring to the table, but I thought it was important to create something that is a little more allergy-friendly. Sorry if you are allergic to coconut. I never said I was perfect.
Oats make the perfect, alternative filler. Full of fiber and low in fat, oats add a great texture to these energy bites and balance out the sweetness of the fruit. The beautiful, gooey dough that comes together in the food processor is a testament to their charms.
These energy-bites are kid-friendly and make a wonderful addition to any lunchbox. This is true for lunchboxes belonging to those of all ages whether they be headed to school, work, or Burning Man. I also find that they make for great travel food as they have no problem getting through TSA at the airport. I vow to never again travel without them!
Anyways, please enjoy these! I hope they fill any void in your life!Print
Piña Colada Energy Bites
These 5 ingredient Piña Colada Energy Bites are packed with island flavors like pineapple, coconut, and banana. They are the perfect healthy snack.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 15 energy bites 1x
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Vegan
1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1 cup dried pineapple, soaked in water overnight
8 medjool dates, pitted
1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 large, ripe banana
1. In a food processor, pulse shredded coconut until flakes reduce their size by about half. Remove and set aside.
2. Add soaked and drained pineapple, dates, oats, and banana to food processor. Pulse until dried fruit breaks down and mixture comes together in a large, sticky ball.
3. Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and roll it between palms into a round ball. Roll the ball in coconut flakes and set on a plate. Continue this process until all of the fruit and oat mixture is used up. Place plate with energy bites into the refrigerator and allow to set for about 2 hours. Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
4. Energy bites can keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days or be frozen for up to a month.
- Serving Size: 2 energy bites
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 29g
- Sodium: 20mg
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, snack, pineapple, coconut