I absolutely love handheld food! This is especially true when I am at work or otherwise on the go. The last thing I ever want to worry about when I am packing my lunch is remembering the utensils. We have all at some point or another packed a lovely lunch of leftover pasta from the night before only to find ourselves sitting in the break room with no fork and eating with our hands. No more I say! To save yourself from such depths of depravity, whip up a batch of these Roasted Chickpea and Veggie Pita Pockets on Sunday night and reward yourself with a utensil-free lunch that will last all week.
The amazingness of these pita pockets goes far beyond their convenience. They are also healthy and delicious. Full of roasted veggies, crunchy chickpeas, and a healthy scoop of barley, you are sure to feel full and satiated throughout the day.
The drizzle of roasted red pepper tahini sauce ties the whole thing together nicely. The taste, texture, and presentation of this recipe are all perfectly on point. Do yourself a favor and make this recipe. You will be the envy of all of your co-workers (who may or may not have forgotten utensils of their own) and maybe even your boss. Maybe they will see you eating these and decide you deserve a promotion! Who knows? Just try it!Print
Roasted Veggie and Chickpea Pita Pockets
These pita pockets make lunching healthy convenient and downright delicious! Full of veggies and whole foods, these babies are big on fresh flavor!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 pockets 1x
- Category: entrée
- Cuisine: vegan
For the Chickpeas
1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
For the Pita Pockets
1 large head broccoli
1 large head cauliflower
1 red bell pepper
2 tbsp vegetable broth
1 c dried barley
1 c shredded carrot
8 whole wheat pita pockets
1 recipe roasted red pepper tahini sauce
cilantro for serving
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (215 C) and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, toss chickpeas with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, and salt. Spread evenly across baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved. Transfer from baking sheet to a bowl or plate. Set aside and leave oven on.
2. Chop broccoli and cauliflower into florets and slice bell pepper into thin, 2in strips. Spread veggies over the baking sheet you used to roast the chickpeas. Drizzle with vegetable broth and sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, cook barley according to package directions. Fluff with a fork and set aside. To assemble the pita pockets, carefully open a pocket and pack about 1/4-1/2 cup cooked barley into the bottom. Scatter in some chickpeas and drizzle in some red pepper tahini sauce. Add in a handful of veggies and top with a few more chickpeas, some shredded carrots, more sauce, and cilantro. Continue until all of the ingredients are used up.
4. These pockets can be enjoyed warm, chilled, or at room temperature. Assembled pita pockets can keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
*The nutrition information for this recipe does not include the roasted red pepper tahini sauce. Nutrition information for this sauce can be found here.
- Serving Size: 1 pocket
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 445.4mg
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 62.3g
- Fiber: 11.9g
- Protein: 12.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: roasted, veggie, chickpea, pita
Looking for more awesome lunch recipes? Be sure to check out: