I don’t know about you but salads have never really been my favorite. This may be because when I first became a vegan I thought that salads were the only thing I could really eat. I spent months choking down dry greens until I had had enough. It wasn’t too much later that I found out being vegan didn’t mean I had to give up much of anything at all.
Want spaghetti? Fine. Pizza? OK. An amazingly filling salad filled with a ton of flavor? No problem. Enter shaved brussels sprouts. There was a time in my life that I was eating roasted brussels sprouts on the daily. That’s testament to how much I love them. While I am not longer on that particular bandwagon, I still find ways to incorporate them into my meals whenever I can.
Prior to making this recipe I had never eaten brussels sprouts raw. I didn’t understand how people could do it considering they are so amazing cooked. After eating this salad every day for the past week I am singing a different tune.
Working in combination with the tangy, oil-free vinaigrette, the apples and cranberries pull out the sweetness in the brussels so you won’t miss the caramelization that occurs when they are roasted in the oven. Whole-grain farro adds a heartiness that leaves you feeling full and satisfied while the pecans provide a much-needed crunch. Yum!
This salad comes together in 15 minutes using only 5 ingredients. Quick, healthy, and delicious. What more could a person ask for in a tasty salad? Eat this as a side or as a main dish. It doesn’t matter. Just eat it.Print
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Tangy Vinaigrette
Lovely 5 ingredient salad that comes together in only 15 minutes. This dish is full of nuts and fruity bits making it a healthy, easy side for any occasion.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: serves 6 as a side 1x
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Vegan
2 c farro, cooked
32 oz. brussels sprouts
1 large gala apple, chopped
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c chopped pecans
For the Dressing
1/2c red wine vinaigrette
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Using a food processor fitted with the shredder blade, process brussels sprouts until finely shaved.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set in refrigerator until ready to use.
3. In a large bowl, combine brussels sprouts, cooked farro, chopped apple, dried cranberries, and pecans. Pour dressing over the top and toss salad until ingredients are evenly dispersed and coated in dressing.
4. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve in several hours. Salad can keep covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: about 2 cups
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 21.5g
- Sodium: 42.3mg
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan, salad, brussels sprouts, lunch, side
Looking for more side dish recipes? Check these out!