The most American of Fall favorites is now completely vegan! This apple pie is full of incredible fall spices and flavor making it a necessary staple for your holiday season.
For the Pie Crust
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 c vegan margarine
10–12 tbsp ice water
For the Filling
4 large apples, pealed and thinly sliced
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray. To make the pie crust, whisk whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, and sugar together in a large bowl. Cut in the vegan margarine and work with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Slowly add in ice water 1 tbsp at a time, stirring after each addition until dough just comes together. You do not want dough to be too wet and sticky.
2. Once dough is finished, break into two equal-sized pieces and form into disks. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. To make the filling, place apples in a large bowl and toss with sugar, brown sugar, spices, flour, cornstarch, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Set aside.
3. After the filling has been prepared, remove the pie dough from the refrigerator. Lightly flour a large surface and place one of the disks of dough in the center. Roll out with a rolling pin until the dough is 1/8 inch thick. Carefully wrap the rolled out dough around the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared pie pan. Pour apple filling into the pan.
4. Roll out the second disk of dough on the prepared surface to 1/8 inch thick. Transfer it to the pie pan using the rolling pin and carefully spread out over the apple filling. Cut the excess pie dough off the sides of the pie pan using a sharp knife. Pinch the edges of the pie crust together with your fingers or a fork.
5. Using the sharp knife, cut slits in the top of the pie to allow ventilation while baking. Brush the top pie crust with a little non-dairy milk and sprinkle generously with sugar. Set pie on the center rack of preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Use a crust shield to prevent burning if necessary. Allow pie to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Prepared pie can keep in a sealed container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Keywords: vegan, dessert, apple, pie