So, my birthday was this past week and I thought it would be fun to share with you guys the cake I decided to make for myself. Instead of using this as an opportunity to make something new and out there, I decided to dig a little further back in the archives and find an old favorite. That is how this Vegan Funfetti Cake happened. Yes, happened.
Boxed Funfetti cake mix has been around forever and very much reminds me of my childhood. I remember my mom making these for me and my classmates in cupcake form back in the day. Knowing how much I loved this flavor as a kid, I figured it was time to veganize it.
Fortunately for me, Chef Chloe Coscarelli has an amazing vanilla cake recipe that I tweaked a little bit to accommodate a large amount of multi-colored sprinkles. The result was incredible and I am very excited to share it with you guys today! As someone who loves sugary sweet things and rainbow colors, this was the best birthday cake I have ever had. I hope you think so too.
While I am admittedly not the best decorator, I am extremely pleased with how this cake turned out! Two even cake layers sandwiching a thick pool of vanilla icing and covered completely in pretty sprinkles? Count me in. While I ate a very large portion of this cake, my family pitched in as well, feeling equally excited about it. Of course I couldn’t let their appreciation for this lovely vegan funfetti cake get out of control. It was my birthday after all.Print
Vegan Funfetti Cake
Your favorite childhood cake made completely vegan! Moist white cake layers loaded with multi-colored sprinkles and topped with sweet, vanilla frosting.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 9-inch layer cake 1x
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: vegan
For the Cake
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c non-dairy milk
1 c canola oil
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 c multi-colored vegan sprinkles
For the Frosting
2 c non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
4 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
*Extra sprinkles for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C) and grease and flour two 9 inch circle cake pans. Set aside. In a large bowl, sift together all purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate, small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together non-dairy milk, canola oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and whisk until cake batter comes together. Do not over-mix. Fold in the multi-colored sprinkles.
3. Evenly distribute cake batter between the two prepared pans and place on the center rack of preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 mins or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, rotating halfway through. Allow cakes to cool for 15 minutes before turning them out onto wire racks to cool completely.
4. While cakes are cooling, beat shortening with a hand mixer until smooth. Slowly add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add in the vanilla and salt and beat until frosting reaches desired consistency. If you like a softer frosting add in 1 tbsp of non-dairy milk.
5. To decorate the cake, place a single layer onto a cake plate or stand. Cover the top of this layer with about 1/3 of the frosting. Carefully place the second layer on top of the freshly-frosted bottom layer. Spread another 1/3 of the frosting on top of this layer. Spread the remaining frosting around the sides of the cake if desired. Decorate with additional sprinkles. Prepared cake can keep in a sealed container at room temperature for 3-5 days. Baked, unfrosted cake layers can be frozen for up to a month.
*This recipe is derived in large amount from “Birthday Cake” in Chloe Flavor.
Keywords: vegan, dessert, cake
Looking for more dessert recipes? Be sure to check out:
Math Club Cookies // Blackberry Cobbler Ice Cream // Vegan Peach Pie // Tahini Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies // Vegan S’mores Bars // Perfect Vegan Brownies // Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble // Vegan Turtle Shortbread