Your favorite childhood cake made completely vegan! Moist white cake layers loaded with multi-colored sprinkles and topped with sweet, vanilla frosting.
For the Cake
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c non-dairy milk
1 c canola oil
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 c multi-colored vegan sprinkles
For the Frosting
2 c non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
4 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
*Extra sprinkles for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C) and grease and flour two 9 inch circle cake pans. Set aside. In a large bowl, sift together all purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate, small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together non-dairy milk, canola oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and whisk until cake batter comes together. Do not over-mix. Fold in the multi-colored sprinkles.
3. Evenly distribute cake batter between the two prepared pans and place on the center rack of preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 mins or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, rotating halfway through. Allow cakes to cool for 15 minutes before turning them out onto wire racks to cool completely.
4. While cakes are cooling, beat shortening with a hand mixer until smooth. Slowly add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add in the vanilla and salt and beat until frosting reaches desired consistency. If you like a softer frosting add in 1 tbsp of non-dairy milk.
5. To decorate the cake, place a single layer onto a cake plate or stand. Cover the top of this layer with about 1/3 of the frosting. Carefully place the second layer on top of the freshly-frosted bottom layer. Spread another 1/3 of the frosting on top of this layer. Spread the remaining frosting around the sides of the cake if desired. Decorate with additional sprinkles. Prepared cake can keep in a sealed container at room temperature for 3-5 days. Baked, unfrosted cake layers can be frozen for up to a month.
*This recipe is derived in large amount from “Birthday Cake” in Chloe Flavor.
Keywords: vegan, dessert, cake