If you are anything like me, you are not much of a salad person. Don’t get me wrong! I like to go out and order a big, fresh restaurant salad with all the fixins’ as much as the next person. I just don’t really have a lot of fun making them myself. Sometimes it turns out great, others not so much. Luckily for me, there are some salads that are fool-proof. Hopefully you consider them to be salads as well.
Macaroni salad is incredibly forgiving. While it may not be as green or as leafy as your doctor might hope, this healthy version still presents a desirable alternative to the original. You won’t even have to unzip your pants to enjoy it.
Instead of being full of mayonnaise, egg, oils and saturated fat to boot, this mac salad’s dressing is based with silken tofu. I hope this isn’t too off-putting to any of you as you might be surprised by just how tasty it can be. Due to its natural flavorlessness, tofu gets a bad wrap. However, this is one of the many miraculous things about it. It can taste however you want it to taste and different cooking methods will supply it with different textures.
Here I used silken tofu as I believe it offers the creamiest textures for sauces. Blending it with mustard, vinegar, and dill gives it a zing that replicates that of a traditional macaroni salad perfectly. This recipe is also totally customizable. If you want to add in additional veggies or switch out the ones outlined here with your personal favorites feel free! The result will remain wonderful.
Anyways, please give this recipe a try! It is out in time for summer making it a perfect addition to your Fourth of July BBQ block party or a simple dish to bring to any cookout. Your neighbors will thank you.Print
Vegan Macaroni Salad
This Vegan Macaroni Salad is loaded with healthy veggies and dressed with a light yet traditional-tasting sauce. This “salad” is perfect for any summer cookout!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Vegan
8oz macaroni noodles
3/4 c red bell pepper, diced
3/4 c celery, diced
1/2 c green onion, finely sliced
2 tbsp dill relish
6oz extra firm silken tofu (1/2 of a 12oz package)
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp spicy yellow mustard
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp fresh dill
1. Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside. Prep vegetables while pasta is cooking.
2. To make the dressing, place silken tofu, agave, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a blender. Blend on medium speed until consistency is smooth and no tofu chunks remain. Add in fresh dill and run blender for an additional 30 seconds.
3. To assemble the salad, add macaroni noodles and chopped veggies to a large bowl and cover with the prepared dressing. Toss gently to combine. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely and allow flavors to marinate for about 4 hours. Serve cold or at room temperature. Prepared salad can keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
*To make this recipe gluten-free, simply use gluten-free macaroni noodles.
- Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Sodium: 235mg
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 38.1g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: macaroni salad, summer, cookout
Looking for more side dish recipes? Be sure to check out: