Pie is one of those desserts that is kind of “accidentally” vegan. Instead of butter, many chefs and home cooks prefer to use shortening and egg washes and cream are sometimes left out. This is why I believe pie translates so easily into vegan baking. I like to use vegan butter or a mix of vegan butter and shortening for the crust and an almond milk wash on top. I don’t think that this detracts from the flavor at all and the same flakiness of a traditional pie crust is rather easy to achieve!
Anyways, I think this vegan peach pie has something to prove to all the haters out there. Vegan desserts can be awesome! I have been wanting to make a pie for the blog for a while now and my parents’ peach tree completely overflowing with fruit gave me the perfect opportunity.
For this pie, I simply used 1 cup of vegan butter to make the crust along with the usual ingredients of flour, sugar, and salt. I also added in some chilled vodka to help achieve that pretty flakiness we all like to see on our pies. I pulsed all of this together in a food processor and the perfect dough formed. Totally easy! Pie crusts have an unfair reputation for being finicky but this is mainly down to people over-mixing and over-handling the dough. Let it be people! If it’s not broke don’t fix it!
Peaches also make the perfect pie filling. All it takes is a little bit of sugar and heat and they become sweet, sticky, syrupy goodness in no time. As such, this pie is very forgiving for those of you who are hesitant to make a pie from scratch. Don’t be intimidated! Let the peaches guide the way!
Also, don’t forget to serve this vegan peach pie with vanilla ice cream. How people are able to eat pie without vanilla ice cream or whipped cream is completely beyond me. If you know someone like this cut them out of your life asap. I am convinced that this is a serial killer trait. Get away from that creepy weirdo!Print
Vegan Peach Pie
This pie is loaded with soft, fresh peaches and full of summer flavor. 100% vegan and 100% delicious.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices 1x
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: vegan
For the Crust
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 c vegan butter
4 tbsp ice water
4 tbsp cold vodka
For the Filling
4 c sliced peaches (about 5–6 large peaches)
1/3 c sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray. Set aside. To the bowl of a large food processor add flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse 3-4 times to evenly mix. Cut vegan butter into 1/4 inch cubes and add to the food processor. Pulse for 1 second increments 8-10 times until mixture is fine and crumbly.
2. Pour crumbly flour mixture into a large bowl and add in the water and vodka. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until dough comes together. Divide the dough in half, flatten into two four inch disks and wrap each section securely in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
3. To prepare the filling, simply combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and fold together gently to combine. Once filling is ready, spread flour over a large surface and place one of the disks of dough onto the prepared area. Dust the top of the dough with flour as well.
4. Roll dough into a circle that is about 1/8 inch thick and has a diameter of 10-12 inches. Repeat this process for the second disk of dough. Using your rolling pin, carefully transfer one of the prepared crusts from the floured surface to the prepared pie pan.
5. Once bottom pie crust is in place in the pan, pour filling into the pan and spread peaches out evenly. Use your rolling pin to transfer the second pie crust to the pan and carefully place over the peaches. Use a knife to cut slits in the top of the pie crust for ventilation and also to trim off any additional crust around the edges. Crimp the edges of the pie dough or simply press them together using a fork.
6. Brush the top of the pie with your favorite plant milk and sprinkle generously with granulated sugar. This will help the crust crisp up and turn golden brown. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until pie looks golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into it. Serve with dairy-free vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Finished pie can keep covered at room temperature for 2-3 days.
*If you do not have a super huge food processor I would recommend breaking the crust recipe in half and making it in two separate batches. This will save you from getting flour all over your kitchen.
*If you do not want to use vodka you can replace it with more ice water, however the flakiness of the crust will suffer.
*When baking your pie it is a good idea to use a crust shield so that the edges of your pie won’t burn before you are able to cook the rest of it through. Take it from someone who has made too many pies with burnt edges and raw middles.
*Make ahead tip: This pie can be prepared in its entirety and left covered and unbaked in the refrigerator overnight. Allow the pie to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before baking as directed above.
Keywords: peach, pie, dessert, summer
Looking for another fruity summer dessert recipe? Be sure to try: