I remember once asking my mom what her favorite kind of cake was when I was a little girl. I’ll never forget her answer: cookies. While this absolutely blew my mind as a child, I have since come around to her way of thinking.
Where cake certainly has its place in every polite society, cookies reign superior due to their ease and flexibility. That is particularly true of these vegan chocolate peanut butter cookies with pretzels.
Is the name of the recipe long enough for you? I thought it only appropriate to dub these cookies with a name capable of capturing their majesty. Seeing as every bite contains huge depths of sweet, salty, nutty flavor, it seemed only fair to give them a name just as big.
Vegan cookies typically get a bad rap. I think that this mentality dates back to several decades ago when the only vegans around were cows and hippies.
Maybe the hippies made their cookies out of beets and grass. Maybe they force-fed them to less than enthused passerby? Either way let me assure you, you will be more than happy feeding these cookies to yourself.
Peanut buttery goodness paired with the sweetness of the chocolate and the saltiness of the pretzels makes for the perfect cookie. This is of course not a slight to the other vegan cookies out there. I don’t want to hurt their feelings. But these are amazing. Sorry other cookies.
Anyway, when I shared the finished product of this recipe with the queen of cookies, my mother, I was given a thumbs up and the ringing validation that this cookie truly checks all the boxes. Again, no disrespect to other vegan cookies out there.Print
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pretzels
These incredible vegan peanut butter cookies are loaded with chocolate chips and pretzels making for a decadent treat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 18 large cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Baking
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup vegan margarine
3/4 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pretzels
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Using a stand or hand mixer, beat together margarine, peanut butter, sugars, almond milk, and vanilla until fluffy and well-combined. Slowly beat in flour mixture 1 cup at a time. Fold in chocolate chips and pretzels.
3. Once cookie dough is ready, take 2 heaping tablespoons of dough and shape into a ball with your hands. Flatten into a round disk onto the baking sheet. A normal sized sheet should fit about 6 large cookies.
4. Set baking sheet on center rack of oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
5. These cookies can keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days or be frozen for up to 1 month.
Keywords: vegan, cookies, chocolate, peanut butter