Halloween is coming up and I thought it would be the perfect time to debut these little babies! As someone who doesn’t live in an area surrounded by Whole Foods and other health food stores, I don’t have access to the growing amount of vegan candies being made available in more urban areas. As such, I have taken it upon myself to make some treats for the upcoming holiday starting with these Vegan Sunflower Seed Butter Cups. Who’s ready?
These Sunflower Seed Butter Cups are:
- Crazy easy to make
With only five ingredients and fifteen minutes of labor, these incredible little candies have arrived to give all of your favorites a run for their money. Reeses stop quaking.
Where many homemade candies require a thermometer and lots of other crazy kitchen utensils you are unlikely to have on hand, this recipe only requires a microwave and a mini muffin pan. Easy right? The method is particularly simple as well. A little mixing, a little melting, and a little assembling. Totally simple I promise! Once all of your little Vegan Sunflower Seed Butter Cups are formed they need only be placed in the fridge to set.
Once the chocolate is no longer soft and the candy is firm, these little pieces of heaven are ready to be enjoyed. Package them up for friends, hand them out to Trick or Treaters, or enjoy every single one on your own. I promise I won’t judge.Print
Vegan Sunflower Seed Butter Cups
These sunflower seed butter cups are homemade and completely vegan and gluten-free. The perfect combination of salty and sweet!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 30 candies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten-free
1 c sunflower seed butter, separated
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tbsp vegan butter, softened
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 1/2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
sea salt flakes for sprinkling
1. Line a mini muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, combine 1/2 c sunflower seed butter, powdered sugar, vegan butter, and sea salt. Stir together with a spoon until a thick paste forms and everything is well-combined.
2. Place the chocolate chips and remaining sunflower seed butter in a separate bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second increments until melted, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes total. Stir chocolate mixture until completely smooth.
3. Once filling and chocolate mixture are ready, begin to assemble the sunflower seed butter cups. Using a metal spoon, drizzle about 2 tsp of chocolate into the bottom of each mini muffin liner. Next, take 1 tsp of the sunflower seed butter filling and flatten it into a disk about the size of a nickel. Gently press the filling into the chocolate in the bottom of each muffin liner taking care not to press down to hard. Cover each with an additional tsp of the chocolate mixture.
4. Using the back of a metal spoon, even out the tops of the sunflower seed butter cups as best as you can. Sprinkle each cup with a pinch of sea salt flakes. Place the sunflower seed butter cups in the refrigerator to set. This should take about 2 hours. Sunflower seed butter cups can keep in a sealed container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 5-7 days or be frozen for up to a month.
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, dessert, candy
Looking for more chocolatey recipes? Be sure to check out:
Perfect Vegan Brownies // Vegan Turtle Shortbread // Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream // Chocolate Strawberry Bread Pudding // Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies // Tahini Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies