This hearty, vegan chili is loaded with crisp vegetables, quinoa, and beans making it the perfect winter meal that packs a protein punch.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (retain or discard seeds depending on spice preference)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 14.5 oz. cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
2–3 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
1. Rinse off quinoa and cook according to package directions. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat 2-3 Tbsp. of water or vegetable broth over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add bell peppers, jalapeño, zucchini, beans, and spices to the pot and sauté for an additional 5 minutes adding water or broth as necessary. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until vegetables have reached desired tenderness.
4. Stir in cooked quinoa and corn and continue to cook until heated through. Remove from heat.
5. Serve warm with avocado, guacamole, cilantro, sour cream, nutritional yeast, etc.
*This Vegetable Quinoa Chili can keep in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days or it can be frozen for up to a month.
Keywords: Vegetable Quinoa Chili, Vegan, Gluten-free